Physical Education in East Rockaway is based upon the acquisition of knowledge and skills as a foundation for engaging in physical activity. However, the mere acquisition of knowledge and skills is not enough. The mission is to enable all students to sustain regular, lifelong physical activity as a foundation for a healthy, productive, and fulfilling life. The K-12 curriculum is a sequential educational program based on physical activities undertaken in an active, caring, supportive, and non-threatening atmosphere in which every student is challenged and successful.
The East Rockaway Physical Education program will help children....
• Improve self-esteem, self-confidence, and interpersonal skills.
• Gain a sense of belonging through teamwork.
• Prepare to embrace cooperation and competition.
• Handle adversity through winning and losing.
• Develop social skills.
• Learn self-discipline and accountability
• Improve problem solving skills and increase creativity.
• Develop an understanding of the role of physical activity in promoting health.
• Enhance social and cognitive development and academic achievement.
“Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being,
while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it.”